Welcome!

This blog serves to give acting ideas and advice to actors of all ages, especially young ones. This blogs author is J.T. Turner, actor, director, teacher and member of AEA, SAG and AFTRA. I hope you find the posts useful, and please pass along the blog address to anyone you think might benefit from it!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Why are you still here?

 thought-cloud-follow-your-


Why are you still here? No, no I don't mean why are you reading my blog, any sane person knows that you should always do that. Rather I would like you to think about that question from the perspective of an actor.Why is your character still on stage?

I often remind actors you always need a reason to come on stage. You are drawn in by the sound of a song, you want to have a conversation with someone, you need to borrow money, or you have a message to deliver. You should always have a reason for actively coming on the stage. But I also want you to consider, as a performer, why you stay. Why don't you leave? Your character should have a reason for being on the stage, and that reason should be more than, "The director put me here".



I always admonish my students to never come on stage just because they were told to. And I want to remind you all that you also need a reason to stay. Perhaps your character is interested in what another character is saying. Or you have more to say and are just waiting for a chance to say it. Or you have no where else to go, so decide to stay around. Whatever the reason, use that reason in your character, make it an active choice. But do not let the reason be, "I am here, waiting to say my next line". That makes you a prop, not an actor!


                                                    THE ACTORS SENSEI
                               Coaching in acting and public speaking, monologue/audition work.

No comments:

Post a Comment